Monday, July 4, 2011

Guatemala

My Guatemala trip was quite the experience, and I loved every minute of it. I wanted to stay longer.. but I was so happy to be home. All the villagers were so humble and sweet, and it definitely helps me remember what's important in life. Sorry for all the pictures.. I took a million so it was hard to choose.

This is how they carry their baby's around.
We tried picking up this guys corn bag and couldn't! It probably weighs 150 pounds, and they hike with these on their head for miles, every day.

We went on a hike, and I thought I was going to die. But I made it at least. they don't believe in switchbacks there... they just go straight up the mountain in their bare feet.

I loved being with them at school. We made cards with them and it was a lot of fun.


It was SO beautiful there. Every morning this is what the village looked like


I am a GIANT next to them! All the guys were funny, and LOVED getting their picture taken.

This picture is for Jayson.... Can you believe some of their teeth? This kid was maybe 3. It was sad a little bit.


One of our projects was planting 40,000 trees. we planted them in here, and when they grow they villagers will plant them along the mountain.


This is the school for the little kids. like Primary age kids.


This was the school for all of the teenagers. I loved being with the teenage girls because I would tease them about their boyfriends, and they would get so embarrassed.

The second night the village religious leaders put on a Mayan ceremony for us. It was interesting and obviously really important to them, but no one really knew what was going on. There was a lot of dancing and Chanting.

All the kids were so so cute.. but I have to say he was my Fav. He was my buddy all week.

All day... Every day and Night the kids and adults would just stand in the doorway of the church we slept in and watch us. I guess we were just so interesting to them. We would see heads poking in the windows and in the cracks of the building. Ha ha we got used to it after a while.


1 comment: